Thursday, September 29, 2005

Katrina Relief Painting


This is my most recent painting for my relief event. I've also been working on my typical New Orleans works. This painting is a combination of collage and poetry I composed a few days after the tragedy.
The words are:
Crescent Flood of Tears
My eyes are tired of crying, my heart is tired of breaking
I can't comprehend what I am seeing,
what are the choices that we are making?
Will you move towards me with compassion or a fist?

The waters rose like oceans swallowing up the light,
leaving innocence to die that Dark New Orleans night.

Torrents washed away the dreams and hopes of days gone by,
Help should be coming but is that just a lie?
We are Americans not refugees!
Red, White and Blue will you come rescue me?

Hear our cries for our brothers-our homes- our children that faded before our eyes.
Angel Dyke,
Sept. 13th, 2005
words and images copyrighted 2005

No comments: